The Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) codes are the foundation of this system, consisting of precise five-digit codes that classify medical procedures and services. The American Medical Association (AMA) maintains these codes, which are crucial for billing processes used by healthcare providers, hospitals, and medical practitioners throughout the country.
CPT code range 00400-00474
Anesthesia procedures performed on the thorax (chest wall and shoulder girdle)
CPT codes 00400-00474 cover anesthesia for thorax procedures, including chest wall and shoulder girdle.
- Anesthesia for skin procedures on the chest wall, anterior trunk, and perineum (00400)
- Anesthesia for thoracotomy (00410)
- Anesthesia for repair of diaphragmatic hernia (00450)
- Anesthesia for subclavian vein catheterization (00454)
- Anesthesia for chest tube insertion (00470)
- Anesthesia for other procedures on the thorax (00474)
What are the different types of Anesthesia?
There are four main types of anesthesia: general anesthesia, regional anesthesia, local anesthesia, and conscious sedation.
- General anesthesia is used to completely block the sensation of pain and consciousness. It is used for major surgery and other procedures that require the patient to be unconscious.
- Regional anesthesia blocks the sensation of pain in a specific area of the body. It is used for procedures on the limbs, abdomen, and pelvis.
- Local anesthesia numbs the area of the body where the procedure will be performed. It is used for minor procedures, such as stitches or injections.
- Conscious sedation is a type of sedation that allows the patient to remain awake but relaxed. It is used for procedures that are not painful, but that may cause anxiety or discomfort.
The type of anesthesia that is used for a particular procedure will depend on the patient’s medical condition, the type of procedure being performed, and the surgeon’s preference.
What is the difference between CPT code 00400 and CPT code 00474?
For skin procedures on chest wall, anterior trunk, or perineum, use CPT code 00400. For thorax procedures like thoracotomy, hernia repair, or vein catheterization, use CPT code 00474 for anesthesia.
What is the most common CPT code in the range 00400-00474?
The most common CPT code in the range 00400-00474 is CPT code 00410, which is for anesthesia for thoracotomy.
What is the average cost of anesthesia for procedures in the range 00400-00474?
The average cost of anesthesia for procedures in the range 00400-00474 varies depending on the type of procedure and the geographic location. However, the average cost is typically between $1,000 and $2,000.
How do I find out the CPT code for a particular procedure?
The CPT code for a particular procedure can be found in the CPT book, which is published by the AMA. The CPT book can be purchased online or at most medical libraries.