CPT code 11720 reports nail debridement for onychomycosis, ingrown toenails, or psoriasis. Up to five nails can be treated using any method, including cutting, filing, or scraping.
- Onychomycosis (fungal nail infection)
- Ingrown toenails
- Psoriasis of the nails
- Thickened or dystrophic nails
- Nails that are damaged or infected due to trauma or other medical conditions
It can improve nail appearance, reduce pain, and prevent complications. Used for onychomycosis, ingrown toenails, and psoriasis. It may also prepare nails for other treatments like antifungal meds or surgery.
Also read: 99387 CPT code description.
How is CPT code 11720 performed?
Nail debridement can be performed using various techniques, depending on the patient’s condition and the severity of the issue.
Common methods include:
- Cutting: Provider uses a scalpel or sharp instrument to remove affected nail material.
- Filing: They use a file to thin the nail and remove dead or damaged tissue.
- Scraping: They use a sharp instrument to scrape away affected nail material.
Providers may use a combination of methods to debride nails, such as cutting away the thickest part and filing down the remaining material.
Recovery and cost of 11720 code
Recovery from CPT code 11720 is quick, and it’s usually a covered benefit under most insurance plans.